Monday 11 June 2012

Reflection :)


All up, I found Intro to Journalism an enjoyable class and found that my ability to blog grew over the semester. Well, at least I hope it did ha. I really didn't know how well I'd take to it when I first started the course and to be honest once I was about to submit my first blog assessment I saw how poor my first few lecture blogs were and edited them hugely! But overall, I think I'm happy with my bloggo. Also, I'm so crazy lazy with my diary, so doing weekly personal blogs and actually being made accountable for them is so beneficial! I can now look back at my first semester and remember all the good times I had, as not only a uni student but as a proud Duchie! :)


As for the actual course, I feel I can now look at news and the media as a whole with a much more critical eye. Although I don’t believe I’ll be going further with my journalism studies, I feel good that I explored this course and gained so many benefits from the content. Examples of this are things liiiiiiike, me knowing about news agenda, understanding how media companies pick what is 'newsworthy' (ie, news values), how to tell factual stories in a couple of different mediums, how changing technology is going to impact on journalism and really, so much more. 


I was fortunate enough to be trusted by a friend to hear and retell a frightening tale of her overseas journey for my Factual Story Assessment. It's crazy how much more I cared about that assignment over others I've been given throughout my education and schooling career. Once you know the person, you are so concentrated on telling the story right and doing it justice. I didn't want to waste her trust. 


Another bonus of doing this course was that we were able to have such a free choice with our annotated bibliography assessment piece. I took full use of this freedom and felt justified in spending time looking through journal articles and academic pieces on fashion journalism. It's funny that the one thing that is threatening fashion journalism the most is what I'm doing right now. Blogging, blogging, blogging. 


As I said earlier, I doubt I'll be going further into studying journalism. I just don't feel that it's where I should be and there are so many others who are more passionate. Besides, you are supposed to follow your passions, right?


I just don't know where that has me heading yet.


x

No comments:

Post a Comment